Tom Hanks has long been America’s favorite boy next door (man next door!) He has portrayed beloved characters in the films Forest Gump, Band of Brothers (actually HBO miniseries), Cast Away, Splash, Larry Crowne, and The DaVinci Code, and that’s just part of the list. Tom has won a spot in our hearts.
Here are a few things about Tom that you might not have known:
- Tom’s an environmental conservationist and activist.
- He has been good friends with musician Bruce Springsteen since he was very young.
3. He gained and then lost 50 pounds for his role in “Cast Away.” Hanks also gained 30 pounds for his role in “A League of Their Own”, which he credits to a local ice cream shop near his home. YUM! We wonder what his fave flavor is, and if he got the same kind of ice cream every time, or mixed it up…?
3. Hanks was with Steven Spielberg scouting out locations for the HBO series “Band of Brothers,”, and he dislocated his shoulder because he fell through a rotting floor in a building in Germany. OUCH!
4. The asteroid “12818 tomhanks” was named after him when scientists discovered it in 1996!
Tom Hanks’ latest role, as “Sullly”, (Captain Chesley B. Sullenberger) is based on what is known as “The most successful ditch in US aircraft history. Sully successfully landed a passenger plane in the middle of the Hudson River in 2009. All people on board were rescued safely. Sully opens at Fine Arts Theatre Place on Thursday, September 7th at Fine Arts Theatre Place.
Photo credits/sources: Stuff.com, Wikipedia.com, moviefone.com, youtube.com, etonline.com, fooyoh.com, aveleyman.com, flyertalk.com
By Ren Naylor